ANNUAL B SHARP SCHOLARSHIP
FOR PIANO, VOICE, STRINGS, &
WINDS, BRASS, PERCUSSION
1. Applicants must be high school students currently enrolled in grades 9-12, and either reside in
Oneida, Herkimer, or Madison County or study with a B Sharp member.
2. Applicants are given 10 minutes for their audition. If repertoire exceeds 10 minutes, the judge may ask
contestants to stop and start at specific locations in the score.
3. Applicants must provide their own teacher approved accompanist. No taped accompaniment, or
self-accompaniment is allowed.
4. Applicants must furnish the adjudicator with piano scores of selections to be performed.
5. Students using illegally copied music will be disqualified.
6. Applicants may audition in more than one category, and may compete as many times as they meet the
requirements. However, applicants auditioning on more than one instrument within the same
instrument family (i.e. flute, piccolo) will only be given one time slot, and will not be considered for
7. Prize winners from previous years may not repeat repertoire from the year in which they won.
Pianists must play from memory two contrasting selections from different historical periods. All
pieces must be original piano literature. No arrangements, simplifications or concerti are allowed.
Singers must perform from memory three contrasting selections, one of which must be in Italian
and one in English. Formal vocal instruction is strongly encouraged. No show tunes are allowed.
Instrumentalists must prepare two solo selections from different composers and musical periods, contrasting both in style and tempo, one of which may be unaccompanied. Any work with composed accompaniment must be performed with accompaniment.
Selections must be from the repertoire of the instrument. Memorization of movements of concerti and other works meant to be performed with an orchestra is encouraged but not required.